The death toll from the Mwingi bus accident has risen to 34.
Divers recovered seven more bodies on Sunday from a bus that was swept off a bridge in Kitui. Bringing the death toll from the disaster to more than 30.
On Saturday, a bus carrying a church choir to a wedding in Kitui County keeled over and sank beneath fast-flowing waters.
Twelve passengers made it to safety, but the majority of those on board the submerged bus were unable to escape.
Kitui governor Charity Ngilu said 34 bodies had been recovered by military divers since Saturday. There’s still fear that the death toll could rise further as the search and rescue operation continued.
“We were able to retrieve seven today. There are still more people on the bus “Lately, she told reporters on Sunday.
“It’s truly heartbreaking. So many people have died.”
The number of passengers on board the bus when it flipped into the Enziu River, about 200 kilometers (125 miles) east of Nairobi, still remains unknown.
President Kenyatta, Deputy President Ruto, and ODM Leader Raila Odinga sent condolences to the victims’ families on Sunday and urged Kenyans to be cautious on the roads during the rainy season.
“Once again, the President wishes to remind Kenyans throughout the country to heed government advisory against attempting to cross swollen rivers, particularly during the current rainy season,” Kenyatta’s office said in a statement.
“Our hearts go out to the families. We wish the survivors a speedy recovery and send our condolences “On Twitter, DP Ruto.